Tuesday, May 5, 2009

National Geographic Right Here in Montana!

On Monday (5.4.09) I went with George to Crow Agency near Hardin to get some information for a job he is getting ready to start. On the way home we took a short detour and saw these cranes. They are fairly common around here and almost always in pairs - this pair being no exception. What was new however, was the mating dance they were doing. I have never seen that on TV, let alone in the "wild". It was fascinating to watch them hop about and "sing" to each other. I wonder if they would be equally fascinated with human courtshiping?? Yea.....probably not.....

George said the one jumping was the female......but.....with all the effort in the jumping and the sounds it was making and the fact that the other bird was just standing there staring......I'm pretty sure it was the other way around!!



"Look what I can do!!!" (Oh Yea, that is definitely the male!)

1 comment:

Heather said...

Its so fun to see animals in the wild. They are really pretty birds. Thanks for sharing!